Saturday, March 22, 2008

My lawn is #1 on the To Do list

Today I spent the day focused on my lawn. I aerated the front and side yards with my "Hound Aerator" that I just bought at Home Depot. There were so many ugly plugs all over the lawn which makes me think I did the right thing at the right time! After walking the Hound across the lawn I raked the HELL out of it to get up old growth and thatch (keeping in mind I held my core muscles the whole time for an extra work out)! The lawn looks better already - amazing what getting rid of the brown can do.
I also dug up the new portion of my garden, tilled the soil and added some compost. I am hoping to put in some scallions and lettuce seed within the next few week.
Yesterday I planted my Blue Girl Rose bush and am hoping that it isn't too early or cold - keeping my fingers crossed on that one!
The best thing I did today was help my neighbor (aka Mr. Scotts) order the organic material that he needs to take care of his lawn. I cannot even express the joy that I have that he has decided to go organic. I am really so proud of him because it takes a lot to get off of the 'drugs' to make this planet a better place. He is ordering from Garden's Alive and went for the WOW Supreme and some grub control. He is now so into the organic way that he is also ordering a tea composting kit! I LOVE IT! Now I have to hook up a system for tea composting too. I am looking for the 'passive' way which will require some stirring and manual labor because I don't want the thing sucking up the electricity for the aerating pumps.

No comments: