Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Asparagus has arrived!

And here is the first photo of my ten lovely Jersey Supremes:

Hard to believe that these suckers are going to become 20 year+ vegetable plants! My 50 strawberry plants showed up today too. I thought I ordered plants, but alas they are bare root too. Not even sure where I will put them all, but I am a sucker for a BOGO (buy one get one free) deal so fifty it is!
I did build the raised bed over the weekend and I thought it came out great, however the screws were not so happy in their new found home and promptly popped out of one side when all the compost and manure were added : ( Did I ever mention I suck at wood working?!?!
I just checked on the lettuce seeds that I planted indoors over the weekend to make sure they hadn't dried out and shockingly enough I already have one itsy bitsy seedling poking out! Of course like the overzealous gardner that I am I forgot to mark which peat pots are what so I have no idea if it is the Valamian (romaine) or Salad Bowl (loose leaf) - a surprise later on I guess.
Tomorrow is supposed to be a good 50+ degree day here so I am going to tackle that community garden.

No comments: