Sunday, March 13, 2011

Butternut Squash Tart

I am really not a butternut squash type of girl but I can't specify with Boston Organics exactly which squash I don't want. If I check off 'don't ever send me squash" that means I will never get zucchini, patty pan, or Kalibrocha. So I am stuck with the butternut they send me and am always looking for a way to make them taste. Yes, I said taste, not taste better, just taste. I find them extraordinarily bland. My mom gave me a recipe for a "rustic butternut squash tart". Here is the result:

All in all it was pretty tasty, and super easy. I think I liked it because I overloaded on the thyme, red onions and extra sharp cheddar. All of that tends to overwhelm the lack of flavor the butternut has :) And pretty much those are the ingredients. Squash sliced thin, red onions sliced into rings, fresh thyme and shredded extra sharp cheddar. Put all of that over a pie crust, fold over the edges, Brush with a wel beaten egg, Cook on 400 degree for 20-30 minutes and ta-dow - you have tasty squash!
And on a different topic - Spring is soooo close. We changed the clocks this weekend so it will be lighter at night. The waking and walking in the dark with the dogs really isn't a highlight, but the night walk certainly is! I saw so many Robins out this morning. Another sure sign Spring is on its way. The majority of Robins leave here in the Fall and in their place come the Juncos. Once you start seeing Robins you will start to not see Juncos and then Spring is officially here - no matter what the date on the calendar! Well, that is how I see things. That and when you can start gardening.

No comments: