Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Signs of Spring!

It is so exciting after a l-o-n-g winter full of ridiculous snow storms to see signs of Spring peeking out. While out walking with the guys I saw my first crocus - granted it wasn't fully open, only about the size of my thumb nail - but it was so encouraging to see! When we got home I noticed that my crocuses, daffodils and jonquils were all peeking out of the ground too! And the birds! I love to hear the woo-hoo of the chickadees in the morning it really feels like Spring even though it is only 30 degrees. The male cardinals have all been at the tippy tops of the trees belting their hearts out in the hopes to find a mate for the season. I love it! I typically have a family of cardinals in late Spring and I am hoping he brings his family back here. I miss Flat Top - he was a cardinal that looked like he stuck his head in a fan belt because he lost his plume - but he was a character. He would sing at the front fence if the feeder was empty. And once I went back to fill it I was no more than a foot away and he was already on it! He had me trained. I was so sad when he didn't come back in the Spring. It is so hard to tell the birds apart but he was so different looking. He brought his 'kids' here to feed so I am hoping that the cardinals in the yard now are his offspring.

No comments: