Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Weekend of work!!!!

Whew - what a weekend Memorial Day turned out to be! I finally finished off the mulch - and still have some left. I was pretty stingy around the forsythias because I wasn't sure if I had enoug, wow did I misjudge! I replanted the cukes and added "Gardener's Gold" from Nature's Alive to add fertilizer and weed control around the cues, zukes and tomatoes. I also discovered my first tomato but to my dismay it had blossem end rot : ( I guess I hadn't watered it enough lately. Now I know and that thing will never go thirst again. The garden is starting to grow weeds (thanks to my neighbors not so diligent lawn and basic gardening care) and picked the heck out of it. The zucchini plants are looking good so far. I had two more that won't fit in the garden so I planted those in a container near by.
I also visited my favorite garden shop/nursery Mahoney's in Wincheser to buy some plants for my hanging baskets on my back porch. I chose Sachet Nemisia which should look great with the salvia, sweet potatoe blackies etc. Not only do they look good, they smell fabulous too! I can smell them when walking by - an added bonus! I also picked up some Moss Rose for the whiskey barrels out front and some impatients for the shady parts of the yard. I am quite proud of myself and how the yard is looking so far.
My only complaint is about the damn squirrels - they are already digging some serious holes everywhere in the yard. On my way to work this morning I saw two of my Thorndike Ivy dug up and left oh so carelessly along the driveway. I hat them and would love to know how to rid them from al my hard work! I think this weekend I am going tomix and spray a nautral repellant for them - chili peppers, garlic adn water. I read that they hate the smell and will stay away fromanything that has it on t, but I am wondering how many other bugs/insects/critters may actually like it!
Not that gutter cleaning is part of organic gardening but I did that too - and oh good god did it stink! My neighbor informed me that he had been watching a tree grow in my gutter for 3-4 years so he helped out with the ladder and I pulled it out. If you mix rotting vegitation, swamp water, and the worst smelling scent you can think of - that is what it smelled like. I almost fell off the ladder from the dry heaves!
Dandelion duty was also on the agenda - which hasn't been too big of a problem since putting down the corn glutten - but still a pain none the less.
I still have some peppers, lettuce and cukes and zukes toplant but am afraid to plant them outside of the "rules and regulations" of spacing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I think I killed a balloon flower that my sister sent my way - I went to split it and place it in two differnt pots and surprizingly enough - there were no roots! It looked like the top of bean sprouts. I dropped everything I could save into the two pots and covered them and am hoping for the best. If they don't take - well heck they were free.
Next on the agenda is trimming down the forsythias (which never bloomed), the boxwoods which are taking over the side yard and maybe even cutting down the hydrangea - which could be risky - it may not bloom this year if I do that.
I never ealized that a good looking yard takes up so much time. If I didn't have to work to pay for all the supplies I could seriousy do this all day, every day. The thought of being a landscape designer or just plain old landscaper has crossed my mind because I enjoy doing it so much, but hten, who would take care of my yard?

No comments: