Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Too hot for much

Wow - was Saturday hotter than I expected. I had lots of plans - paint the fence, dig out more in the front yard, glutten the back yard, etc. It was upwards of 90 degrees on Saturday which really cut my level of productivity. The only thing I ended up doing was dismantleing the garden. I pulled out the decaying zuchinni plants, removed the over abundant tomatoes and harvested a few more peppers. I also planted a bunch of garlic for harvesting in the spring. And now that it is football season my Sundays are confined to the HDTV and all the games available! Which basically means my Saturdays are going to be more jam packed than ever!
I am really trying to get all the basics done before the boat-load of bulbs and plants arive so that I am not trampling over the newly planted items, but of course, being in New England, the weather just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Thankfully today it rained - which has been much needed. EVERYTHING is wilting - including things that never wilt - like the weeping cherry tree. My rain barrel has been dry for so long I actauly thought of dismantleing it and putting it away!
I did buy a few mum plants to decorate my back porch. Which look kind of odd next to my still thriving basil plants! I do have to take the basil in at night because it is getting below 60 now. I have made a few bunches of pesto that I have frozen and am hoping will make it over the next few months!

No comments: