Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tis the season for planting

Wow, did it get cold fast! This past weekend I decided not to plant any of my bulbs because it was still too warm and I didn’t want them to bloom prematurely – what a difference a few days makes! It is now down to about the 40’s at night and I have taken in my basil and the gardenia houseplants for their own safety!
What I did plant this weekend was 6 of the 12 tradescantia I purchased. I was waiting patiently for UPS to show up with my other 6 but no luck – he didn’t get here until Monday so those little puppies are in the crisper in my freezer. They come as bare root which is something I am not familiar with planting so I am hoping I did it right. The squirrels haven’t touched them since I planted them, which makes me think that perhaps I didn’t!
I also separated the creeping phlox and replanted it into different areas of the rock garden because they were inadvertently planted in one huge mass in one area – oops!
Because it was forecasted to rain all week I took the opportunity to lay down some grass seed too. I used the Garden’s Alive Gold Compost – which are pellet-size hay forms that expand when watered and keep away the pesky birds, not to mention retain moisture and naturally deteriorate without laying unwanted weeds into the lawn. We’ll see how it all works out soon (I hope).
This next weekend I have 3 scabiosa, 6 tradescantia and 3 verbasum to plant. Hopefully the temperature will hold up and I can get those in along with the 100 iris’ and 40 tulips too!

No comments: