Monday, May 24, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

Whew...so much has been planted over the past three days. I put 6 tomatoes in my yard 2 of each - chocolate cherry, green zebra and sungold. Four of the zucchini went in my yard and the other two went to Tom for his last grow box. Around my zukes I dropped in some nasturtum seeds to keep away bugs and to add some color. I planted Kentucky Blue Wonder beans over in the V-yard and the Purple Stringless here. I put those on the back bean tower in the hopes that they will be easier to harvest since they are purple! The rest of the chocolate cherry and green zebras went across the street. The last of the sungolds didn't look so hot so I just may give them away :).
Today 36 corn plants went in. This year I started them in peat pots and regular old potting soil and in less than a week I had shoots and roots coming out from the bottom. Around the corn I put in spaghetti squash and next week I will add either edamame or bush beans - going with the old "three sisters" plan of attack.
The only things left waiting to be planted are the eggplant, melons, delicata squash and cucumbers. My cukes weren't coming up even after two weeks so I added additional seeds into the green slam pots and wrapped the marketmore in damp paper towels stuck in a tupperware container on top of the fridge and in three days they had already sprouted! I put those in the existing peat pots and hopefully those will be ready for Memorial Day weekend planting.
My chard look awful! I think it is getting too much mid-day sun. They leaves are starting to get brown and crinkly. They also have purple spots - pretty spots - but I am pretty certain they shouldn't be there. I planted more seeds along the back fence where the sun isn't quite so harsh.
I am thinking I am almost done, but then I think again and realize that everything still needs lots o' love after being planted! Rain is due on Wednesday so hopefully it comes and can save me the trip of dragging Tom's hose over the fence!

No comments: