Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Trellis and Tomato Update

Now this is what a trellis should look:


The triangle 'tee-pee' like trellis on the left was built with some help from Tom because as you already know building is not my strong point. For less than $20 in supplies this should stand through several seasons. This year it will hold Fastbreak Melons
The lattice trellis on the right was FREE!!! I had extra lattice hanging around from I have no idea what project. We cut it in half and attached it to 8' legs. I got tired of digging so there is a good amount of space from the ground to the first piece of wood, but I am thinking a little bit o' twine or some trellis netting and all will be good.
The third trellis is my previously departed bean trellis. I bought a better staple gun and used 1/2" staples this time and instead of two free standing pieces I tilted them towards each other and attached them by zipties.
So the Victory Garden looks good so far. Here's hoping that everything that should be planted there comes up. I am a bit worried about my cucumbers right now. I started the seeds a week and a half ago and only two have come up. I love cukes and that is what I really want to grow. I might have to just suck it up and buy some seedlings : (
As for my previously frozen tomatoes:

I think they just might make it! I have trimmed the dead leaves and will plant them pretty deep and keep my fingers crossed that they produce. I mean I really do have too many. I can only handle 6 in my own garden and I have 22 in total! That is a lot of tomatoes!

No comments: