Monday, April 11, 2011

Honey Do is Honey Done!

So I am proud to say that I can cross every thing off of this list. Well, not exactly, I didn't gluten the back yard. There were so many bare spots that I reseeded instead. If I put down the corn gluten it is something like 6 weeks before I can reseed. The gluten kills all germinating seeds and does not discriminate between good and bad. Hence no gluten in the back. I also didn't have to do the nasty poop run!! My landlord, aka my mom (who is retired) did it sometime last week.
After tilling the garden I planted 3 types of peas - Snowbird, Avalanche and Sugar Snap. Allegedly they will be ready in 51, 68 and 71 days respectfully. Heres hoping! I also put down some lettuce, carrots and started dill, basil, Chinese cabbage and Brussels Sprouts inside. The seeds I started two weeks ago are looking pretty good. I already have my first true set of leaves on the Sungold and Chocolate Cherry tomatoes. The Bitonto are having a rough time of it. Only two have come up. I really only need four and two of those are supposed to go to my sister for her birthday. I may just not have them for myself : (
I ran out of barrels and bags for all the yard waste so ended up dumping all the thatch and a ton of leaves into the empty compost bin. When I ordered the second bin last year Garden's Alive sent along this free activator and who am I to not accept a free gift! I added this in the bin, followed the instructions and need to re-water tomorrow. I am not sure if it really works, but it really can't hurt. For a little extra boost I added in some of Neptune's seaweed fertilizer too (there was a lot of brown added to this particular bin).
My first daffodil bloomed today and if the weather holds the rest should be opening up by the end of this week. Spring is officially here....well, at least for now!
Tomorrow I will go over the delicious potato quesadilla I had for lunch (and dinner) today.

No comments: