Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New Ideas for Potatoes

I don't know about you but I am sick of roasted potatoes, home fries and french fries. I get about 1-2 pounds of potatoes delivered every other week and was looking for something new. Every recipe book has "roasted potato with (insert meat here). A girl can only have so many roasted potatoes in one season. So I came up with a few new ways to cook and serve potatoes.
Po-Achos
This is my take on nachos served potato style. I bake some potatoes and when they are cool enough I cut them apart into large chunks, skin and all. Then I top with salsa, cheese and green onions and sour cream if I have it. For an added extra I add reconstituted TVP or Morningstar crumbles. Yummy and fast.
Potato Quesadilla
This is also Mexican inspired. I am not a huge fan of mashed, mashed potatoes so mine are more boiled then squashed with a fork, nice and chunky. But if your preference is for smooth and silky they would work in this too. Once the potatoes are 'squashed' I add crumbled bacon, green onions and salt and pepper to taste. This gets loaded onto 1/2 a wheat tortilla (leave enough around the edges so it doesn't ooze out). Throw a good size handful of cheese on top and fold the tortilla over. Dab a bit of butter on each side of the tortilla and cook in a skillet large enough to hold it and brown on both sides. Again - yummy. You can make a big batch of the 'squashed' potatoes and reheat it and make more quesadillas the next day.
I am working on an Indian version of this using curry and not sure what else. I have enough potatoes to experiment so I will keep you posted on the results.

No comments: