Monday, July 2, 2007

Beneficial Nematodes are our friends!

So not only do I have Aphids running wild around the rose bushes I was out weeding last week and when I pulled up a weed I got a bit o' grass with it and the whole darn chunk came up (without a lot of effort I may add) - a sure sign of grubs. I ordered some Grub Away from yup, Garden's Alive, to take care of the issue. I got 5 million nematodes - an insect that atacks insects that spend at least part of their lives in (or on) the soil (no harm will come to earth worms, I promise). I watered, re-watered, and re-watered again over three days to amke sure they got down deep into the soil. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will get rid of them. Otherwise, the front lawn doesn't look so bad.
On a different topic, I ran out of rain water this weekend. It hasn't rained in awhile so I guess my supply was dwindling w/o me even knowing. We did get a good downpour on Saturday so I have enough in the barrel to fill a few watering cans, but not too much before it goes below the level.
Had the family cookout this weekend and got to munch on the buttercrunch lettuce. I must have picked in in time because it was not bitter at all! I got LOTS of compliments from everyone on well the yard looked and how fabulous the garden was growing. Everyone was amazed that the tomatoes are already fruting and that the cukes have flowers. Of course everone offered to take the "extras" off my plate once everything is being harvested - but no lettuce takers this time. I gotta get rid of some of that - a girl can only eat so many salads!

No comments: