Monday, July 30, 2007

Let the Tomatoes Begin!!!


Ah - my first ripe tomato...isn't a beauty?!?! There are several more that should be ready to pick in a few days, but this here is my first beefstake of the season. The sad news is that I am losing a lot of them because there are so many they are breaking the branches! I have so many old stockings, floral tape, stakes, etc trying to keep it all in tact that in fact it looks quite tacky!
That was the good news - the bad news is that my one watermelon fell off the vine - I guess it wasn't pollinated. So to prevent that from happening with the others I started hand pollinating those too. If it worked for the zukes then it will be fine for the melons!
Yesterday I planted several spinach seeds - about 7-8 I think. The packet says that it is good for spring summer or fall planting so if all goes well in 45 days (or hopefully less) I will have an abundance of spinach! I may even try to grow some in my flower boxes seeing as nothing else seems to want to grow there! Hopefully those unsightly lettuce plants will go to seed soon. They are as high as my chest and becoming quite a nuisance to get around. There are a lot of buds, several flowers and nothing that looks like seeds. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I can get something out of these god awful looking creatures at the end.

No comments: