Thursday, July 12, 2007

Just another day

So I have already cut 6 zukes off my plants and am sad to day that there are no more female flowers right now : (
I am hoping that this isn't it for my zucchini crop. There are a few more that will be ready to harvest in a few days but if this is it I am very disappointed. I did only plant three plants so maybe next year I will need to plant more.
I am already planning out next year's garden and I am going to double the width so I will have a full 12 feet. That way the zukes and tomatoes will have more room to branch out and not suffocate any other plants. I am also looking to grow garlic, scallions, red onions and soy beans (endamame).
My lettuce is already going to seed which is ok with me - I have had my share of salads this year! I do have two more heads of each type that I planted later in the year so I will still have a few more salads and hopefully it will time well with the tomatoes and cucumbers so I can have my own home grown salad!
I have a packet of spinach seeds that I received from Garden Solutions for being a club member - which is a membership I joined for only $14.95 per year and that gives me a 10% discount at a bunch of online places like gardensalive.com, springhill.com and brecks.com. They say it is slow to bolt and can be grown in spring summer or fall so I am hoping to find some space towards the front of the garden to plant a few.
My watermelon plants are looking really good - well at least 3 of the 6. I think the sad looking ones do not receive enough sun, so lesson learner - that location isn't so great. I have a few flowers already in bloom and a bunch of buds too. I know they need to be pollintated and the bees have not been very helpful this year. I have no problem doing it myself, but have no idea how to tell the difference from a male and female flower on watermelons. Looks like a google search is in my future!
On a side note - my window boxes look terrible!!! The purple salsa salvia is growing a lot of greenery but not a lot of blooms, something has eaten all the leaves off my royal delft (I think I have a bug problem), my african daisy are, like the salvia, growing great foliage but no blooms and my sweet potatoe blackies seem dormant. And I was so positive that my boxes would be the envy of the neighborhood - now aren't I eating crow!

No comments: