Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hip-hip Hooray!!!

More zucchini flowers have arrived - both male and female so my stash is not yet defunct! I did cut two massive zukes off this weekend. They were both hiding under all the leaves so I didn't see them - they had to be over a foot long each. I know that is not ideal - but sometimes these things happen. I gave those to the neighbors - I already have some to cook up.

I now have two watermelons growing. One seems to be getting a "wee bit" bigger each day, but I am still not sure if it was pollinated. The other is "teensy tiny" small and has a small dried out flower on the end so again not sure if it was pollinated. There are a good number of male flowers on those plants as well and I am hpoing the ladies show up soon - the growing season here in New England is getting very, very short!

I did notice that I have some new flowers on several of my pepper plants. That is probalby because I rescued them from the overpowering tomato plant. Lots of old pantyhose and garden stakes created a much needed sunny spot for these little guys. Speaking of little guys - one of my red pepper plants is no more than 6-7" high and already has 4 peppers growing on it! I have no idea how it is going to hold them up - this may require "Gardener MacGyver" (it think that is how you spell it - anyway you get the idea) action!

More cucumbers have arrived but they do not seem to be willing to attach themselves onto the stakes that I gave them. All over the place they are - who is the master here!!! They too are going to require a bit more training, but this past weekend was B-day weekend for me and I stayed out of the garden and I am not regretting it. One weekend of neglect require twice as much energy and back work the next!

No comments: