Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili

Ok, I know it doesn't sound all that great. I was a bit hesitant too. And honestly I don't even like chili but I though I would give this one a try. I had a sweet potato the size of a child's Nerf football and really didn't know what to do with it so enter a Google search. I found the original recipe on Eating Well and doctored it a little to, of course, add more spice.
Starting with my Nerf sized-sweet potato I used three cans of black beans, two zesty chili flavored diced tomatoes and two whole chipotle peppers in adobo. All the other spices/ingredients I just doubled. I chopped the peppers, seeds and all and added to the pot in step 1. I also added way more cumin and chili powder than needed - but I like my nose to water with the heat.
This recipe made A LOT. I froze 6 cups, had about 2 cups right after it was done and still I have about 3 cups left, if not more.
I think next time some browned ground turkey, or even the Morning Star crumbles might be nice in this. I also think I will try it in the slow cooker so I don't have to stand and stir for so long.

No comments: